the acoustic diaries

Thursday, June 08, 2006

the light on this beach has broken my heart

Went to see Pilate last night at the Commodore.

Wintersleep was the first opening band. The Halifax based performers played a short but powerful six song set.



They ended with an awesome performance of "Nerves Normal. Breath Normal". The extended outro along with the crazy drumming at the end rocked my socks. I had a couple spins of their CD awhile back but wasn't too impressed. I must say though that they were great live and are one of the best opening acts I've seen so far this year.




Wintersleep should have came on after the second band, People In Planes, who kinda sucked. It was basically all downhill once they stepped on stage. The singer did have a decent voice, but the music had no depth and was also quite loud. As soon as I heard the first few notes, in went the earplugs. I was basically counting the time til they got off stage. Also, we thought the guitarist could have passed as one of the long lost Moffatt brothers.

Pilate came on and opened with Knife-Grey Sea. They pretty much played all of the new album, along with a few tracks off their first LP. The songs they played sounded good, but I felt their performance was missing something. They definitely could have played longer as there was still a fair amount of time before curfew when the show ended. Also, absent from the setlist were Mercy and Collide, two key tracks that really display the beauty of Todd Clark's vocals.



I'm a bit disappointed since I know how good they can be live. The last time I saw them, Todd was quite sick but still able to put on a solid vocal showing. On this night the vocals were there, but didn't blow me away like last time. Highlights from the 1hr 20min set included Knife-Grey Sea, Turn The Lights On, Alright, and Into The West.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home