the acoustic diaries

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

We might as well be strangers

Keane was playing at the QE Theatre last night. I didn't have a ticket yet, and decided to go to the box office to see what was still available. I ended up row 7 centre. Not too bad. The show was fantastic.

Brendan Benson opened. Never heard of him before, but he won me over by the end of his set. He's one of the best openers I've seen so far this year.

Keane consists of a vocalist, a keyboardist and a drummer. The setup of the equipment was in the shape of a triangle, with the front centre of the stage open to move around. The keyboardist was extremely enthusiastic in his performance, reminding me of Chris Martin's movement in the Clocks video. The lights and production were well done. Tom Chaplin's vocals are so strong. I found his voice and the accompanying music to be quite emotional. They previewed 3 new songs for us. All of them were enjoyable.

The set lasted just over an hour with one encore, but definitely felt a lot longer. Like The Killers, I expect these guys to be playing arena shows the next time they're in town supporting a new album.

I would consider this one of my top three shows so far this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home