the acoustic diaries

Monday, November 21, 2005

Awake Soon

Went to the CFL Western Final yesterday with the B.C. Lions playing the Edmonton Eskimos.



We were down 21-3 at one point before coming back and tying it up.

During the game our section tried to start a wave around the stadium, but it didn't pan out.


In the end, we lost 28-23. Our defensive pass coverage seemed non-existant at times and Dickenson couldn't get things going on the offence. Still, I had fun and the energy of the crowd was great.

Headed over to the Vancouver East Cultural Centre after the game to catch the Sarah Slean show. It was my first time at the venue and it was a lovely intimate setting. The venue has a main floor and balcony with a max capacity of 397.

The opener was Jean Paul Maurice. He played an excellent solo acoustic set. His 40min performance contained great melodies and some nicely muted guitar work.

Sarah Slean came on at 9pm. As soon as I heard she was doing an intimate and solo show, I knew I had to be there. It was just her and her piano, and she played barefooted. Her voice was angelic and filled with emotion. Sarah had some great facial expressions throughout the set and shared a few stories. She also took some song requests during the show.

Some highlights for me included Pilgrim, Ogoni Star, Your Wish Is My Wish, and especially Blue Parade. The set lasted 1hr 20mins with one encore.

I'd say it's in my top 10 of my 50+ shows so far this year. I think I'm gonna have to compile some kind of list soon.

Setlist:

Lucky Me
Out in the Park
Me and Jerome
Duncan
Mary
Somebody's Arms
Pilgrim
Ogoni Star
Bank Accounts (dedicated to Paris Hilton)
Sweet Ones
High
Eliot
Weight
Blue Parade

The Score
Book Smart Street Stupid
Your Wish is my Wish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home