the acoustic diaries

Sunday, August 28, 2005

absinthe party at the fly honey warehouse

My friend called me up last night just as I was about to jump into the shower, then head off to go swing dancing. He said he had an extra ticket to the Minus The Bear show, which was scheduled to start shortly. We were orginally gonna go to the show, but he was attending a wedding and didn't know if he'd make it back in time. By around 8:00pm and with no call, I decided to make other plans. So when he called at 9:00pm and said he was on his way to the show, I was a bit surprised. And me not willing to turn down a good rock show, I decided to go.

So there we were 30mins later.....at the Media Club. The show was sold out and there was a lineup of people outside the venue trying to score a last minute entrance. Inside, a bunch of people mingled around, beer in hand, awaiting the first act. The first performance featured three ladies known collectively as New Year's Resolution. Some light mellow rock tones. Pretty drumming and swaying keyboards lead to a few standout tracks. The next band was some emo rock band that dedicates every show to John Cougar Mellencamp. Okayyyy. They were pretty forgettable.

The max capacity at the Media Club is 120 people. When Minus the Bear took the stage shortly after midnight, the place was packed. I found a sweet elevated spot near the stage that overlooked the crowd. Looking down, it seemed that there was little room to manoever. In fact, the crowd was estimated to be around 150+....well over capacity for such a tiny venue. The indie band from Seattle has been getting some great reviews on their newly released album and the Media Club seemed to be the place to be for the night.

The band's catalogue consists of very unusual titles for their tracks. Songs such as "Thanks For The Killer Game of Crisco Twister" and "I Lost All My Money At The Cock Fights" are two examples. The guitarist performed many of the tracks through fingertapping. It was very impressive....and nothing like I'd ever seen before. The keyboardist had quite a few effect and tone switches to play around with. The sound of the performance was tight and well controlled.

Near the end of their set, some drunken guy walked across the stage, then proceeded to walk on top of the row of couches along the side of the club. It was pretty funny. The band played for about 1hr 10mins total with one encore. Great night. Everyone left satisfied with the performance and I was glad I chose to attend the show. Thanks gut instinct, you did well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home