the acoustic diaries

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Some Slipping and Sliding

The past 2 days have been fun.

On Friday, I went to see a local band called Mariana's Trench play at the Backstage Lounge. Before the show, we hit up a restaurant called Sophie's Cosmic Cafe. The inside of the place was decorated with a bunch of memorabilia dating back many years ago. Lunchboxes hang from the wall, as do Elvis and Beatles record covers, along with a restaurant menu that showed the price of food some 40 years ago. Man, the lobster meal for $.50 would have been awesome.

I first saw Mariana's Trench when they opened for Matt Good about two years ago. They have since evolved their sound and matured in musicality. The band played music that resembled a modern pop/rock sound. Comparitively, they sounded like Switchfoot at times. Their harmonies were great. With all four members utilizing vocals, it added another element to the sound. Since they are all classically trained musicians, you could see them holding one finger against their ear while do some vocals and feeling out the tone. Their last song of the evening was done in a capella. Apart from the inside of the Backstage Lounge being pretty hot throughout the set, I very much enjoyed the show.

Came back from two friends' birthdays on Saturday. Much fun was had. I had my first encounter with a slip 'n slide. I've wanted to do this for a while and it didn't disappoint. What also made it fun was having drunk friends play on the slide with their asses hanging out and doing all sorts of stupid things....such as getting the wooden fence dented and cracked after a buddy slid right into it. I also placed a bucket over my head and proceeded to slide while blinded. Luckily, I still have all my bodyparts. Since we stuck two slip 'n slides together, we were able to go a lot further. Next time, we'll aim for three slides and score some inflatable bowling pins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home