the acoustic diaries

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Coldplay Night #2

So about 45mins before the Coldplay show was set to begin last night, I decided to go to the concert. Didn't have a ticket in hand but I figured that shouldn't be a problem. I'll just show up at the venue and see what happens. Fast forward life a bit and I'm sitting inside GM Place for the second straight night watching Fiona Apple open the evening. Hooray! for my spontaneity.

I really like Fiona's new album Extraordinary Machine. She has some amazing lyrics on it as always and sings with so much emotion. Live, her vocals really carry through.

Coldplay was great last night, as they were the night before. Chris mentioned the band had caught some food poisioning after the Thursday show, and wasn't sure if they'd be able to perform on Friday. However, they pulled through with another solid performance.



During the opener Square One, the countdown clock was a bit mistimed leading up to the chorus. Some people on the floor had already brought balloons for Yellow, so when the giant balloons with confetti fell from the ceiling, it nicely layered over.

The set for Friday's show was pretty much the same as the night before, but with two differences. The Hardest Part replaced Swallowed In The Sea for the encore opener, and Parachutes was tagged at the end of Yellow. The encore break was actually a couple minutes before the guys returned back on stage. The anticipation built was good since during some shows, artists will walk off stage and return literally less than a minute later for the encore. Last night, the crowd response made it feel like we earned it.

With the set being fairly similar both nights, it's more understandable since the production of their show is on a large scale. A big part is dealing with the video displays, intricate lighting issues, and extra sound effects that need to coincide with each song. That takes a long time to work out in order to make the show run smoothly. I can't complain however about hearing Don't Panic twice over the last two nights.



I really liked the end of Clocks as it gets super fast. Will was going crazy on the drum kit. Talk also had a ton of energy both nights, and where Chris reaches into the audience to sing on someone's cellphone. I noticed Chris gets some good speed going when he runs from one end of the arena to the other during In My Place. All night he was very entertaining to watch, from hopping around on stage to his yoga back bends.

Setlist:

Square One
Politik
Yellow / Parachutes
Speed Of Sound
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
X&Y
How You See The World
Don't Panic
White Shadows
The Scientist
'Til Kingdom Come
Ring of Fire
Trouble
Clocks
Talk

The Hardest Part
In My Place
Fix You

3 Comments:

  • two nights in a row. you get the ulitmate coldpay/fiona fan award.

    everytime I hear coldplay mentioned, I always think...
    "do you know how I know you're gay, cause you listen to coldplay"
    from the 40 year old virgin movie. haha, what a dumb movie.

    my friend was down for the first concert too, but I haven't heard from her yet.

    By Blogger MB, at Sat Jan 28, 03:18:00 PM  

  • A Fantastic Band and even better seen live. The band and the crowd carry you to a new listening and viewing experience.

    Coldplay rocks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Feb 01, 09:53:00 PM  

  • I can't believe you snagged tickets to both shows... and you got some pretty impressive photos of the band too! I am writhing with jealousy.

    By Blogger Shaz, at Thu Feb 09, 08:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home